Thursday 21 July 2016

A little time off...

Once again it has been awhile since my last post, so I thought I would update you on the newsfromjude while it is still fresh in my mind. There seems to be so much to fit into life lately.
Since I last posted I have finished a few quilts, that I will post photos of soon. There have been preparations for Christmas in July retreat, which starts tomorrow. And I had a trip to Horsham last weekend to deliver a couple of quilts that are going to Quilt Showcase in Melbourne next week. I do hope to get there to see them hanging and combine it with visit to family. (They are customer quilts, that I have quilted and not my own).

Most of this week has been taken up with a few days spent with lots of other quilters, taking part in classses at Quilt Encounter. Thankyou to Kerryn and her committee for an amazing job of organisation for this event, which is attended by up to 190 ladies who came from all over Australia. I know the work that goes into each retreat that I have here for only 8-10 ladies, so I appreciate what this committee does to enable so many this opportunity.

 As it is quite a few years since I have had the chance to attend, it was such a treat to attend classes. To have nothing else to think about, except what you are learning, and just rock up to the dining room for each meal which has been cooked for you, was very special.

Sunrise one morning.


Getting to know new friends that we shared accommodation with, and chatting about the day's classes.


Some of the lovely goodies that I received from the very generous sponsors.


Afternoon tea with friends.


And if you saw these ladies wandering around the grounds doing strange things, they were doing "rubbings" for their class with Ali George. (aliquilts.com.au).  I should have taken a photo of the results which looked great. They loved their class, and I love to see what they do, but it is just a tad too "arty" for me.


Who knew that fire hydrants could yield such good things??


One of my classes was Modern Hexagons with Heather Ford. 


It was special to have the lovely Faye in this class too, and we were very good students, in the back row. We were very busy trying to make lots of hexagons in the one day workshop.


 And behind this bed runner is another special lady, by the name of Lessa. As she is usually the teacher of a class, it must have been strange for her to be a student.


My placemats and table runner in progress.


My next class was On the Reef with Amanda Daley, who comes from Sydney. It was a very busy 2 days, with lots of tracing and cutting out.


My progress at the end of 2 days, and lots of stitching and embellishments to do yet.


Some of our class of 17 students, and their results.


Well it is rather late now, and tomorrow I need get my head back "out of the clouds" and back to work again. A trip to the shops in the morning, for supplies for the weekend, and to the butcher to pick up the turkey roast for our Christmas dinner. And then after lunch some lovely ladies will arrive for another fun weekend.

Blessings, From Jude

5 comments:

Sue SA said...

Wow Judy, love your modern hexi's with Heather (she is a awesome teacher) and what a treat to have such esteemed and lovely class mates! Your sea turtle looks fantastic, what a great pattern and a lovely use of batiks. This will look even better when its quilted!

Susan Smith said...

Sounds like a great time away, soaking up new skills and as you say just concentrating on what is at hand. Good on you and I love your hexie set. Actually, the hexi quilts on the wall were nice too. Have a lovely Xmas in July weekend and takecare.

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

Oh lots of fun Judy! Always good to get away and learn new things! xx

Michele Hill said...

Great to hear all your QE news Jude (and the rest!) and so glad you had a good time.....it must have been very special sitting in class with Faye and Lessa. Hope you weren't too cold....love your turtle too! Hugs from us xx

Linda Steele said...

Looks as if I am not the only one doing Under the Sea type quilts at the moment. I loved seeing them. I'll have to look out for your machine quilted quilts in Melbourne, when I am doing my white glove duty on Sunday.