Tuesday 6 January 2015

Quilt update

It seems awhile since I posted quilt photos, so better start to catch up. Although I must admit that not so many quilts have been done in the last month due to Christmas and family activities. It seems hard to believe that we are already a week into January!

First up is a Jelly Roll quilt made by Val. The colours are much brighter than they appear in the photo, and it just seemed very summery to me, so I used an Ann Bright pattern called Summer, and an orange thread. I am normally a “blendy  thread” type of person, so this was out of my comfort zone, but I was really happy with how it turned out.

IMG_9406

This quilt was made by Sue, and custom quilted. She intends to scallop the edges, so I chose a pattern to suit. Sue was very pleased with this quilt when she received it in the mail just before Christmas.

IMG_9409

IMG_9413

IMG_9414

I woke up just before 5am this morning, so have been out watering before another couple of hot days arrive. Forecast is for 37 today and 39 tomorrow.

I hope to finish the white top today. I have made it in 4 sections and adding the borders to each quarter before I join them together. Hope to have it on the machine by end of today. I still need to join the backing. It will be quilted with an allover pattern and then I have the binding to do as well.

I had planned on finishing the piecing yesterday while another quilt was being quilted, but the best laid plans just don’t always work out do they? I had a repair job on Max as the bobbin winder just was not working properly. Has been a bit “off” for awhile, but yesterday it just stopped winding. I am not very mechanical, so hate it when things don’t work! Thought it might have been the O ring that needed to be replaced, so I found my machine manual, and unscrewed the screws and investigated inside. Found it was more than the O ring, as the whole wheel had fallen off inside the machine! I tried to put it back on, but things still did not work. So if all else fails, pick up the phone and call the dealer! Thankfully Bruce was able to help me. I had the wheel attached to the wrong place and when it was moved to the place it should have been, what a difference!! But if you listened to our conversation you would have laughed, because I just don’t know the proper names for the parts and we are talking in different languages. When I say the black piece that is sticking out the side, he has a proper name for it, and I have forgotten what it was already. It is all working as it should be now, but I do still need to replace the O ring, which is very worn. “Max” is coming up to it’s 8th birthday in February.

Enjoy your day, stay cool if you live in the south, and stay warm if you are in the north.

Blessings, From Jude

1 comment:

Susan Smith said...

Lovely work on those quilts Judy, especially the custom one. I know what you mean by funny conversations as I do just the same. Yes, stay cool, it is already 32 here, though it was supposed to only get to 30, so not sure what tomorrow will bring. I'm still thinking about the Statler Retreat. Take care.