Monday 17 March 2014

Sherrel’s Sampler Quilt

 

A few photos of the Samper that I did for Sherrel recently. We were both very pleased with how this turned out. The pattern was in last year’s Australian Patchwork and Quilting Magazine. Two colour quilts are always very striking, and for some reason I do like blues.

IMG_7502

IMG_7504

IMG_7511

Count your blessings

Due to the number of things that were on my list to get through on the weekend, I was very tempted to miss going to church yesterday morning. But reluctantly, I went. And I am so glad I did, as it was just what I needed! There were a couple of songs that really spoke to me, but one in particular, was Count Your Blessings, and I include the words in this post.

1. When upon life’s billows you are tempest tossed, When you are discouraged, thinking all is lost, Count your many blessings, name them one by one, And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done.

Chorus: Count your blessings, name them one by one, Count your blessings, see what God hath done; Count your blessings, name them one by one, And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done.

2. Are you ever burdened with a load of care? Does the cross seem heavy you are called to bear? Count your many blessings, every doubt will fly, and you will be singing as the days go by.

3. When you look at others with their lands and gold, Think that Christ has promised you His wealth untold. Count your many blessings, money cannot buy your reward in Heaven, not your Lord on high.

4. So amid the conflict, whether great or small, do not be discouraged, God is over all; Count your many blessings, angels will attend. Help and comfort give you to your journey’s end.

I came home feeling so different, having had my burdens lifted. It does not mean that they have  gone, but they are now shared and feel much lighter.

I need to remember to take only each day as it comes, and not worry about tomorrow and what might happen.

The death notices in the paper this week reminded me of just how fragile life really is. A family that we knew many years ago, in our “ milking cows on the dairy” life, this week lost their husband and father, aged only 71. Reminds me how easy it is to lose touch as lives go in different directions. And another death, of the husband, only 62 years old, of a school friend that I grew up with and have not seen since school days.

A big reminder that we have no guarantees of tomorrow. And that everyone is fighting some sort of battle in their lives.

Well, that’s enough deep and meaningful words from me this morning, time to start my week. The bookwork is progressing, I am to the end of December, 2013 now!!!

And I have a big job doing up Mystery quilt projects for the “Paper Bag” Mystery Retreat coming soon. Bit of a different Mystery, as not only do you not know what the quilt pattern is, but you also don’t know what the fabric is. Could be fun, and I have 2 spaces left for this retreat and would love to hear from you if you would like to join us.

Enjoy your week, whatever you have planned, and I will be back soon with more quilt photos.

Blessings, From Jude

3 comments:

Furball Farm Quilting said...

Stunning quilt Jude!

jfoster8 said...

Lovely quilting as always....

Susan Smith said...

Yes Judy, very deep and meaningful post, which I try to remember at times too. Just love your custom quilt job. Take care.